Today, with the state of our global economy, all businesses are required to reduce costs – without reducing service levels of course! All businesses face budget restrictions for the foreseeable future but are also expected to maintain and improve service levels. We all have to stay ahead of the competition and be competitive, or die. SPI can help you achieve this by introducing batch job scheduling to your IT infrastructure.
Introducing cost reductions in IT Workload Management
IT Workload Automation allows CIO’s to dramatically reduce the hidden costs in complex IT environments, without compromising on high service standards within multiple networked systems.
IT job scheduling, also referred to as workload automation (WLA) is defined as:
A program that enables an enterprise to schedule and, in some cases, monitor computer "batch" jobs (units of work, such as the running of a payroll program). A job scheduler can initiate and manage jobs automatically by processing prepared job control language statements or through equivalent interaction with a human operator.
(Source: SearchDataCenter.com, powered by WhatIs.com)
COSbatch ensures that background processes run at the appropriate times and dates and that they run according to any preconditions defined by any combination of external events, internal conditions and/or other background process(es). It has a user friendly GUI interface and provides a single point of control for all the work within the distributed network of computers.
Let’s look at how workload automation effects real cost savings:
- Your business will improve productivity, minimise revenue loss and reduce staff time spent on problem solving.
- There will be no need to have regular staff on call for after hour problem solving, thereby reducing your salary bill.
- It will improve integration between disparate systems and limit manual interactions.
- There is a reduction in costs due to consolidating multiple vendors to one integrated solution that again, minimizes manual interventions and improves long-term productivity and service standards.
- By embedding knowledge and abilities in software, your business reduces the need for highly skilled staff - without impacting your business’ capabilities.
- Launch executable files, shell scripts and database procedures automatically.
- Trigger events for job starts such as calendar events, monitoring of incoming files and API events initiated by external applications.
- Job control is carried out by command line or by a built-in graphical user interface.
- Jobs can be executed independently from one another. Depending on the execution result (i.e. exit status signalling success, failure or a specific exit code) of a job any number of successor jobs can be started.
- Jobs can be executed in parallel up to a configurable number of simultaneous tasks.
- Job chains can be seen as an assembly line on which multiple job nodes are passed. Therefore, each job comprises exactly one step in the processing of a job chain (job suite). Job dependencies based on execution results of the respective job nodes can be configured for a job chain (job suite).
- Monitoring of directories can trigger job starts, this allows the integration of legacy applications into the business workflow as file transfer is a widespread means to integrate applications.
- Job starts triggered by built-in calendar, by command line or by web interface.
- Other applications can start jobs or otherwise control the Job Scheduler via API’s.
- Job activities can be limited to timeslots. The Job Scheduler supports any number of timeslots, which can be configured according to individual job requirements.
- The Job Scheduler allows the assignment of job priorities.
- Job history is stored in a database for auditing.
- Standard utilities e.g. for log rotation and cleanup and sanity checking.
- Notifications for job execution results per e-mail, configurable logging and monitoring of logs.
- Ability to implement jobs and job scripts for complex conditional processing.
- Excellent user friendly graphical user interfaces.
For more information about COSbatch and related software, give us a call, or alternatively, send us an email with a suitable time and we will call you back – give your business a head start towards all the benefits listed above, and more.
Welcome to the SPI Group